The Gila County Historical Museum building is on the National Register of Historic Buildings, as it was completed in 1916 as the Globe Mine Rescue Station. At the beginning of the 1900s, there were about 30 mines in the Globe area, some big and some small, but they all were plagued by mining accidents, since…

Read More

Orr Woodburn was young and inexperienced when he came to the Old Dominion Mine as its safety engineer in the mid-1910s. He learned fast. He heard about the fires, cave-ins, asphyxiations, injuries and fatalities that had occurred and he felt that improvements in mine safety were necessary. In 1917., he suggested that the local mining…

Read More

The Linotype Machine: Thomas Edison called it the “Eighth Wonder of the World” by Mike Spear https://facultystaff.richmond.edu/~mspear/lino.html “Ottmar, you’ve done it again! A line o’ type!” Whitelaw Reid, publisher of the New York Tribune, exclaimed on July 3, 1886, when Ottmar Mergenthaler demonstrated his new Linotype machine. The Linotype quickly brought about a revolution in…

Read More

Less than 20 years after his 1881 arrival in Globe, George W. P. Hunt advanced from ”slinging hash” at Pasco’s Restaurant to the presidency of the Old Dominion Commercial Company.  During this time, he became involved in politics.  He served seven terms on the Arizona Territorial Legislature and was elected president of the Arizona Constitutional…

Read More

1901 Fire As reported in the July 4, 1901 Arizona Silver Belt The third disastrous fire in the history of Globe destroyed 25 buildings on north Broad Street occurring on July 2, 1901.  At about half past four o’clock, the fire has its beginning in one of the rear rooms of the Allison lodgings over…

Read More

Gamewell Telegraph Fire Alarm Exhibit 2/27/2019   History Developed in the 1830s and 1840s by Samuel Morse (1791-1872) and other inventors, the telegraph revolutionized long-distance communication.  It worked by transmitting electrical signals over a wire laid between stations. In addition to helping invent the telegraph, Samuel Morse developed a code (bearing his name) that assigned…

Read More

Mel Van Dusen presents the Linotype (model #5) as demonstrated by Jim Gard at Willys Peck’s printing museum.

Read More

Drone video of the Old Dominion Historic Mine Park combined with photos of the mine. https://gilahistoricalmuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/ODDroneWM_01.mp4

Read More

To get to the Old Dominion Historic Mine Park from the Gila County Historical Museum, turn right onto N. Broad, US 60, and travel southeast for a 1/3 of a mile, turn left onto Murphy St. continuing to Malachite St and turn left to enter the park.

Read More

Ore production from the Miami Copper Company began early in 1911 and by 1924 it was faced with the exhaustion of the higher grade copper ore.  If a new mining method could not be developed, the mine would no longer be viable.  The miners could either come up with a new way to extract the…

Read More