Dee Hunt, Archivist
High School classes were originally held at Central School, which was located near “G” hill. Because of overcrowding at that site, construction for the building now known as Globe High School began in 1913 and was completed in 1914. It held about 250 students from 7th thru 12th grades in a two story building with a basement. The building was “dropped” into a residential neighborhood close to the center of town so students and the community could easily walk to the school, as there was no busses and few motor vehicles. Most kids walked to school, went home for lunch and congregated in the unpaved streets around the building.
In 1920 a third story was added to accommodate the junior high school students, separate from the high school classes. This addition was done by Trost & Trost.
This building has held a cafeteria, a garage, and locker rooms (all in the basement) and caretaker housing on the main floor in its 104 year history.
The auditorium, situated in the center of the building, holds classes, concerts, dances, socials, picture day and is Globe High’s All Purpose gathering site.
The gymnasium and cafeteria were added in 1949 when returning veterans and the community alike felt the need to expand and provide a basketball court for the many school and community activities in the area. They were built adjacent to the high school building where the tennis courts were once located. As the school continued to grow a Science, Music and Shop wing was added in 1964.
The junior high students were moved across the street to the junior high school in 1956 to alleviate the overcrowding of the original high school building. Today that building holds ROTC and the Alternative Learning Center.
In 1991 the original 1914 building was remodeled, rewired and renovated. Gone were the wooden floors, the leaded glass windows and the lack of central cooling and heating. They were replaced by air conditioning, carpeted floors, overhead lighting and electrical outlets to meet the needs of modern education.
Of course a building as old as this has its ghosts. None are threatening or scary, they are just here. There is a young boy, about 7, who wears a sailor suit and bounces a ball against the wall in the gym. Then there is the elderly janitor who can be heard with his broom sweeping, sweeping. And if you are in the building late at night you can hear the footsteps of someone walking around the second floor, around and around the halls in a circle.
Styles have gone from knickers for boys and long dresses for girls, to jeans and poodle skirts to modern trendy attire. The high school has always had cowboys, who dressed as such.
The old building, still in use today, is one of the oldest buildings still used for education in Arizona. It contains the largest collection of high school graduation pictures in the state, and houses one of the oldest continuously published yearbooks in the state, the Wigwam.
Globes graduates include Rose Mofford, the first female governor of the state, (1940) Jimmy Lopez, (1977) the hero of the Iran Hostage Incident of 1979, and Larry Perino, (1986) at one time the youngest major in the US Army and a participant in “Black Hawk Down” in Somalia. Thousands have walked these old hallways, tripped and climbed on these old stairs and savored our beloved GHS traditions.